Newbie needs help deduping over 1 million music file dupes.

English support for the software AllDup
bsacco

Post by bsacco »

I ran Alldup on my PC and found over 1 million duplicates of my music files.

I filtered the folders that had what I thought were just all my music files.

I'm not sure what to do next because I think the program may have scanned my Backup software (SynchBack) plus I'm confused by the interface.

I think the program is suffice, I just can't find any video tutorials because I'm a visual learner.

I need to be careful not to erase the wrong files because I don't want to lose any of my music.

Can someone suggest a step by step approach of how to manage my way out of this mess?

thx-bob
bsacco

Re: Newbie needs help deduping over 1 million music file dupes.

Post by bsacco »

OK, I guess no one wants to help... I get it...
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

The AllDup software is an amazing product. The developer has gone to great lengths to anticipate "use-cases" and provide shortcut commands for nearly every type of search and filtering imaginable. With this level of customization, comes a slightly more complex interface. Effort and critical thinking is still required on the part of the user.

We download it for free (I can't believe this functionality in freeware), then want someone to spend more time (hundreds of hours) creating videos to show us how to use it so that we don't have to put any effort at all into our own projects?

Take some time and familiarize yourself with the product and documentation (experiment). The developer has done all the heavy lifting for us, but we still must do our part within our own projects. This product cost nothing financially, so consider your "time" as payment for functionality that is amazing.
Last edited by andymbody on 26 Nov 2022, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

You can also try using the following free app... which is another amazing app to replace Windows search tool
Everything 1.5 Alpha

See if it might be better suited for your audio file needs. You can add hashing columns and indexing to identify exact dupes based on file content (AllDup can also identify duplicate content). But the Everything app can create more dynamic and customizable queries (search parameters) that are not available (as of now) in AllDup. The Everything app is lightning fast and tracks files in real time with minimal resources hit (you can run it in bkgd at all times). You can also create custom context menus that can be used within Windows for convenience (created manually as of now). It's an amazing tool for file searches, and by default, will cross the folder/directory barriers when comparing files.

The advantage to AllDup is it's post-processing conveniences/functionality on search results. This is where AllDup saves us hours/days when post-processing large collections.
Last edited by andymbody on 26 Nov 2022, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

Tip about the AllDup interface...

AllDup has grown in functionality over the years, but the interface has remained similar during that time. This has led to chaotic "clutter" within the interface. I agree, that the app could use a visual makeover, but until that happens, it's worth getting to know. The top toolbar is a little confusing for a beginner, because frankly, it does not provide an immediate/perceivable "flow" of operation. I think a wizard style interface could improve the interface friendliness.

Here is a couple tips:

The toolbar has two tiers...
Row 1 = Think of this as "Program options"
Row 2 = Think of this as "Search options". Set your search parameters using these "tabs"

1. Set your search options from left to right using the tabs on Row 2 (Source Folders, Search Method, Search Options, ... File Filter)
(Read the documentation for specifics about the individual options found in each "tab".)
2. Then press 'Start Search' on Row 1 (confusing placement, I know)
3. This will open a new window (interface) with search results and the options for post-processing the results.
(Read the documentation for specifics about the post-processing options. There are many pre-configured commands in the menu system and right-click menus - of the results interface ).

Tip to minimize deleting content by mistake:

During post-processing, move dupe files to a folder, rather than permanent deletion.

Or you can do what I do...

Clean out your recycle-bin prior to processing dupes, and choose the option for moving dupes to recycle bin...

(note: moving files to recycle bin is noticeably slower, especially as the bin fills up. This is why I empty the bin prior to processing dupes)

Before I open/use AllDup, I rename my source folders (root folder) temporarily. Then do the search on the newly named folder. I then move dupes to recycle bin during post-processing. Once I have processed all dups (moved to recycle bin), I rename the source folder back to original name, then restore the deleted files from recycle bin.

This preserves the original path for each dup file (with the exception of temp name of the root folder). This essentially separates the dupe files from the ones I want to keep (and keeps file paths intact), but gives me the option to change my mind or correct mistakes if needed. Once I am confident that all went well, I can then commit to the actual delete. I started doing this years ago as a precaution and have continued ever since.

I have never encountered a file being deleted by mistake as a result of the app itself. If it has happened, it was my fault. So I have complete confidence in the app itself at this point. I have processed millions of files over the years.

Once you gain confidence and maturity in your post-processing knowledge/skills and app functionality, you can change your workflow as needed.

Also make sure that you do not allow groups with all files selected to be processed blindly or automatically. This could cause you to loose data. Make sure "Don't process any groups with all files selected" is CHECKED in the post-processing dialog that appears just after you press the "File Manager" button (Top-Left of toolbar). Then inspect these groups manually after the rest of your files have been processed.
Last edited by andymbody on 26 Nov 2022, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

I just found this one as well... It's also feature rich. It's reasonably priced and currently on sale (30% discount) for black friday. Has a 6 day trial. The interface is a little more friendly, but I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

Duplicate Cleaner